Sunday, March 8, 2015

How I Feel About My February Birchbox...3 Weeks Later


I think February's Birchbox has been my favorite of the three I've received so far. This month's box is especially cute with its friendship theme and neon orange and purple colors. Along with the normal five samples, Birchbox users received codes for $30 off an order of $75 or more from Rent the Runway and a free Benefit Porefessional Primer Deluxe Mini with any full-size Benefit Purchase. 

Now for the rundown on the samples I received...

Excuse the bad lighting in this picture, but these are the samples I received in my February Birchbox. Why I didn't take a picture of the adorable orange box they came in, I have no idea.
  • DAVINES MINU SHAMPOO - Full-Size, $25. This light blue shampoo, made specifically for color treated hair, came in a pretty big sample size. I've used the shampoo once and probably have enough for about seven or eight washes left in the bottle (And I have lots of hair.) The smell is not very distinctive, but that's kind of refreshing when it seems like every other shampoo has some kind of overly fruity smell. My scalp tends to get really dry in the winter, but when I used this shampoo I didn't have issues. It's also eco-friendly like lots of other Birchbox products. A foil packet of the DAVINES MINU HAIR SERUM came with the shampoo, but I used it as a regular hair conditioner instead of as leave-in product. I guess I just completely misread the directions, but for what's it worth, it worked pretty well in that capacity. 
  • EYEKO SKINNY LIQUID EYELINER - Full-size, $16. I may be mistaken but I think this product came full-sized which was a nice surprise. Applying eyeliner has never been my strong suit. I've tried every liquid and gel eyeliner out there, but never have I found the perfect one. This one may be the best yet. The felt tip on this pen-style applicator is much easier to use than the usual brush applicator. I finally mastered a good cat eye (with a little help from my ELF makeup remover pen) with this eyeliner. I usually only wear black, graphic eyeliner on special occasions, but I'm looking forward to trying some Twiggy-inspired looks with this eyeliner in the future.
  • JUICY COUTURE HOLLYWOOD ROYAL - Full-size, $72. I usually really like Juicy fragrances, but this scent is too overpowering. There's a lot going on; notes of apples, pears, flowers, and wood are all fighting, making it hard to distinguish what the perfume is supposed to smell like. Also, I'm not really into super fruity smells, and that's what I smell the most. But fragrances are really subjective. Everyone likes something different and perfumes smell different on different people. Let me know in the comments if you've tried this fragrance yet and what you thought.
  • SUPERGOOP! DAILY CORRECT SPF CC CREAM IN LIGHT/MEDIUM - Full-size, $32. I like stuff so much I've already ordered a full-size version. I had never tried a CC cream before this one. I always thought that a CC cream would never be enough to cover my breakouts, but this product completely blew my mind, and I have been wearing it everyday since I tried it. The formula stays on my face all day while covering most of my trouble areas, plus it has SPF 35. I've read other reviews of this product and when it comes to the medium/dark and dark shades, people have had issues with the color being too orange on their skin tone. That wasn't an issue for me (though the cream did give my usually sallow skin a little boost), but be wary of that if you want to try it and you have medium or dark skin. I tried to order the full-size version from the Birchbox website, but it was only available in medium/dark. Luckily Supergoop! also sells on Amazon and I bought it for $25.60 plus free shipping 
  • JUICE BEAUTY GREEN APPLE CLEANSING GEL - Full-size, $26. If you can't stand scented facial cleansers this is definitely not your product. This cleansing gel, as the name suggests, has a very fruity smell. It is supposed to brighten and smooth skin, but using it once was not enough to see any real results. My skin felt a little dry after cleansing, and the next day I noticed small bumps forming around my chin, so I'm not sure if the gel dried out my skin too much and that's what caused my skin issues or if it was just a coincidence. I have been slacking a little on my skin regimen lately. Perhaps this cleanser would work better for women who specifically want a brightening face wash. 
Sooooo did you like your February Birchbox? Did you get any of the same products in yours? Let me know. Also, I'm receiving my first Ipsy bag this month. What do you think of Ipsy? Let me know with your comments! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment