Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Beauty Review: Revlon PhotoReady Eye Art


I've always liked the look of dramatic eye makeup but I typically don't wear a lot of eyeshadow, eye liner, or eye glitter so I thought doing a beauty review of Revlon's PhotoReady Eye Art shadow/sparkle duo would be a good opportunity to try something new. I originally went to CVS to buy the product but they were completely out except for one tube in a shade I didn't particularly care for. Thankfully Walmart had all the colors in stock. I chose number 080 in Desert Dazzle, which is the shade Olivia Wilde wears in the Revlon ads. She has hazel, greenish eyes and so do I, so I thought that shade would complement my eyes the best. There were a lot of pretty jewel toned colors to choose from though, including a pretty turquoise shade with matching glitter and a copper tone with bronze glitter.

My eyelids tend to stay oily, so I applied NYX eyeshadow base to one eye and kept the other one bare so I could compare how well the color and glitter stayed with and without a primer. As soon as I applied the cream shadow and glitter to both eyes I noticed that the cream shadow was already sliding off the bare eye. It left an obvious line of product in the crease of my eye as well. While the color wasn't as intense as I thought it would be, the shadow blended well and initially stayed on the eyelid with primer. The glitter, like the shadow, stayed better on the primed eye.

When first applied with no eyeshadow primer...


 And four and a half hours later...

And with eyeshadow primer...


And four and half hours later...



The cream shadow has a thin sponge applicator which makes it easy to apply all over the lid. The sparkle is a little trickier to apply. It has a thin brush applicator, but  I ended up using my finger to apply the glitter all over my lid to get more even coverage. The advertisement says the product can be used on the lashes, put on the lids, or used to line the eyes, but you would definitely need something thinner to apply the glitter on the lash line. Applying the glitter to my lashes was also tricky and left a lot to be desired. I could barely see any glitter on my lashes after applying one coat. Maybe another coat would've done the trick.

What bothered me the most about the eyeshadow and glitter was that it felt heavy on my eyes. If you're used to wearing fake lashes or lots of eye makeup, you may not be bothered by it at all, but for people who don't wear a lot of eye makeup or just don't like the feel of makeup in general then this product probably would be uncomfortable. After a few hours, however, the sticky heaviness on my eyes didn't bother me as much.

Overall, though I'm mildly impressed with the overall "glittery" effect of the Revlon PhotoReady Eye Art shadow duo, the discomfort outweighs the good. I may pull this product out every once in a while, perhaps to wear with a costume on Halloween or with a dress for a holiday party. But would I buy this product again? Nah.

Have you tried the Revlon PhotoReady Eye Art? Do you agree or disagree with my review? What are your favorite eye products? Let me know in the comments section below! :)


1 comment :

  1. I don't like at all... I am glittery dramatic in my make up. But I buy this product. That one with black shadow and white glitter. The shadow was a mess. Crackling in the crease and build up trying to cover up the smudges, to dense . finaly I need to apply blach powder eyeshadow. The glitter was fine long wearing. But that's it. I love the others colors but I think twice before decide to buy.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete