Thursday, February 19, 2015

Primer Over Foundation? Have you been prepping your skin the wrong way?


In the March 2015 issue of Seventeen (in the article "All About That Base") Deputy Beauty Editor Marta Topran advises girls to "smooth mattifying primer over, not under, your foundation" for a matte look. Interesting. And you should "skip powder altogether: It can make skin look cakey when layered on too heavily." Any woman with oily skin knows that's true. When have I ever put powder over my foundation and two hours later not regretted it? Um, never.

My typical makeup routine consists of primer, then foundation (a heavy liquid one for complete coverage), and translucent powder. But, like I said before, powder has never been good to my oily skin. Though it does help control the greasy look I get about midday I also usually get that cakiness Topran describes, so I decided to try out this beauty hack. Also, it's always nice to cut down on steps when getting ready in the morning--more time to sleep!

First I applied my Maybelline Fit Me liquid foundation in 120 with a foundation brush and then I took a nickel-sized amount of NYX Photo-Loving Primer and, using the same brush, stippled the product over the entirety of my face. The result midday? My skin was oily, no surprise there, but not any oilier than usual. And no cakiness. I didn't have any oil blotting sheets on hand so I used a tissue to remove extra shine.

The conclusion? I think I will definitely start using primer after my foundation when I'm doing a full face of makeup. I wonder if the result would be even better if I added a few spritzes of setting spray on my makeup afterward? Hmmm...

What is your favorite face primer? I want to do a "Battle of the Face Primers" type post in the future and I would love your suggestions for ones to test--both drugstore and prestige brands. Thanks for reading! :)


No comments :

Post a Comment