Saturday, June 13, 2015

How I Feel About My May Birchbox...3 Weeks Later


May's Birchbox was inspired and curated by Cupcakes and Cashmere's creator Emily Schuman. The box, like many of the recent boxes, is adorable. I've got all of my boxes stored on a shelf in my room hoping that a great DIY idea pops into my head one of these days. Maybe they could work as shadow boxes?? Hmmm...

My box was heavy on skin products this month, as are most of my boxes it seems. Maybe I should edit my profile so I don't receive as many. While the occasional moisturizer or sunscreen is fun to try, a girl can only sample so many facial cleansers.

Here's the rundown on what I received in my May Birchbox, starting with the skin care products:

  • The Marcelle Clay Mask (Full-size $15) was one of my favorite products this past month. Though it is a skin care product, it's a clay mask and those are awesome. What's really great about this one is that it goes on clear. You can literally slather this stuff all over your face and it looks like you're wearing moisturizer. That's handy when you're traveling, and you're around other people, so you want to look decent while still treating your trouble spots...You get my point. 
  • The Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream (Full-size $16) was the product I was most excited about. It was created in Japan, and if there's any continent that knows how to do skincare properly it's Asia. Though I was impressed with the hydration the moisturizer provided (It even removed some really dry, patchy skin on my forehead that my regular facial lotion tends to miss.), it's almost a little too creamy for use under makeup. This stuff would make a great night cream if you were in need of something that works but isn't too heavy.
  • The Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45+ Shade #2 (Full-size $39) was what you expect from a beauty balm: it hydrates, provides SPF, but the coverage is very, very light. If you have skin that behaves and is for the most part even-toned, then this BB cream would be all you need. I, however, require a little bit more coverage for everyday. But the formula is light and easy-to-wear.
  • The Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect spray (Full-size $32) is good but I didn't find it to be any better than my regular leave-in conditioner. It has multiple functions, however, acting as a leave-in conditioner, heat protectant spray, UV shield, and color preserver. It does have a nice smell.
  • My only real cosmetic item this past month was an eyeshadow quad, and it didn't disappoint. The Coastal Scents Revealed 3 Palette in the quad Desert Bloom (Full palette $19.95) was a small but beautiful variety of shimmery colors (gold, lilac-purple, deep red and brown). The colors, though, a little loose and powdery, layered really well and are surprisingly versatile for everyday use. My only complaint is that the quad came in a hard-to-open plastic container. Maybe a small booklet-type container would have been better (but probably more expensive as well).
What did you think of your May Birchbox? Have you recycled your boxes to make an awesome craft? Let me know in the comments section below. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment